Thursday, March 28, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome!

When the school shootings in Connecticut happened a few months ago, I too was blown away, sorrowful, and outraged like most of America.  It was even more bothersome learning that the young man responsible had been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, as well as other mental disorders.  Already the news media was stereotyping people young and old with Asperger's and mental disorders as dangerous, unstable, etc.  It wasn't until my son Ryan, who has Asperger's, and yes some mental disorders asked, mom, are they going to keep talking about this and making us look bad?  He continued with, mom, I am just as angry as everyone else.  This bothered him so badly, because he too was hurting for those childrent and their families.  I got to thinking that maybe it was time Ryan and I started sharing our stories.  I felt like this was a way to show people how real people with this disorder and other disorders live.  I had a talk with Ryan and suggested that we share our journey.  At first I got a lot of heat and negative feedback from him.  I was prepared with everything he threw at me.  I hope through this blog I can show others how we deal with things.  It will not always be pretty, but it will be honest.  I am not a doctor or an expert on Asperger's Syndrome.  I don't even know if I fully understand it.  I just know what I deal with daily having an adult son with it, and how I have come to terms with my child being different in the terms of how he processes things, and how we have learned to cope with the ups and downs that are thrust upon us.

So, I invite you to follow our story.  I will do most of the blogging, but you will get to hear Ryan's input and little quirks as well.  He is quite the jokester, and makes them up very easily.  So we will have jokes here and there too.  Come along with us on our journey.  We welcome your comments and stories as well.

Thank you and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment