Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Night of Awareness.....

I have been in deep thought on this "World Autism Awareness Day."  Thinking while we still have a long way to go, we are making progress.  I wanted to share an experience that Ryan and I went through a couple of years ago.

Ryan and I were on our way home from visiting with my mom.  Ryan had been very moody and just not in a good place.  This was one of those rare times that he actually challenged me in a more agressive ways.  By agressive I mean, using his words.  He proceeded to call me a b***h, and threaten to get out of the car.  I did not take him seriously, when I should have.  At the next traffic light, he jumped out of the car just as the light changed, and I had to move because the cars behind me were blowing their horns.  Before I could maneuver my car out of the traffic and turn around, Ryan was gone.  It was kind of chilly out, and Ryan only had on shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt on.  It was getting dark and it was time for his meds.  My first instinct was to become hysterical.  I drove around for about 10 minutes and could not find him.  I learned later that he had seen me and hid behind a tree.  I went home and decided to call our Sheriff's Office.  I explained to the dispatcher what had happened, and the location of where Ryan had gotten out of the car.  They advised me to go back to the intersection where Ryan had gotten out of the car and they would have deputies meet me there.  There was a shopping center there and that is where I was to meet the officers.  This was also on a county line.  We had just barely crossed from one county into another.  I also called my youngest brother, and my sister inlaw and nephew came over to meet me.  My sister inlaw went with me to the shopping center and my nephew stayed at my house in case Ryan came home.

A Sergeant with the Sheriff's Office and a deputy met with me.  I gave them my statement, a description of what Ryan was wearing, and explained that he had Asperger's Syndrome and might freak out if approached.  As soon as I said Asperger's, the Sergeant spoke to his deputy, and before I knew it there were deputies coming from everywhere.  There was also a Sergeant with the Police Department of the neighboring county and officers from there too.  They set up a mini command post.  They asked where would Ryan likely go to feel safe; i.e. a hospital he liked, back to my parent's home, etc.  They even brought out a canine unit.  These law enforcement agencies went above the call of duty in my opinion.  I remember one young deputy coming up and asking me what Asperger's was.  I explained that it was on the Autism Spectrum.  He said, you don't have to say anymore mam, we'll find your son!

Finally, they dismantled the mini command post, and told me that I could go out looking if I wanted to, and they would be in touch.  It was getting cooler out, so I ran home to get jackets for me and my sister inlaw.  My nephew said, Aunt Susie, there were officers here.  They searched your entire house and the utility shed out back.  He said, I told them to go ahead, I hope that's okay.  I said, yes....it is okay.  Certainly they had to confirm my story and eliminate me as possibly hurting Ryan.  He said, they said all was good.  So my sister inlaw and I went out looking.  We finally decided to come back to my house.  There were 2 deputies stationed at my house.

We weren't home long when I got a call from one of the Sergeants saying that Ryan had been located.  Then I got a knock on my door and it was the Sergeant who had intitially responded at the shopping center.  He said, Ryan had been located in a subdivision.  He saw the Sheriff car driving slowly and approached the car.  He asked if the officer could point him toward U.S. 19, because he knew if he made it to U.S. 19 he could find his way home.  The officer (the other Sergeant) asked him, young man what is your name (although he knew it was Ryan)?  Ryan told him.  The officer said, son, we've been looking everywhere for you.  Your mother is at your house waiting for you to come home.  When they pulled up to my house there were "cop" cars everywhere.  The Sergeants spoke, and they said Ryan did not want to get out of the car until the family was gone.  My sister inlaw and nephew left, but not before I gave them hugs and I, as well as the officers thanked them for being so supportive and being there for me and Ryan.

When Ryan came into the house, the Sergeants both spoke to him.  They explained that what he had done was dangerous and caused much worry to me.  They told him to be sure to always have his cell phone (which Ryan hates to carry) with him so that he could contact family or law enforcement if he needed to.  Ryan told them that he understood.  I was so thankful for all the law enforcement agencies and officers for their quick responses and commitment to finding Ryan.  They were amazing.  It was established that Ryan had walked approximately 10 miles and it took approximately 4-5 hours to find him. 

After the officers left, Ryan said, I am going to be sick......He ran to the bathroom, threw up, came out and took his meds and slept for over 12-hours straight.  I would go into his bedroom to make sure he was still breathing.  When he finally got up, he dubbed the shoes he had been wearing as the "walking" shoes.  They were new shoes, and he would never wear them again....

I guess this whole incident restored my faith that law enforcement are educating themselves on Autism, and they are willing to help.....  Over the next few days, I read stories from all over the country where autistic children and adults had gone missing that same night.  It was a full-moon.  If my memory serves me correctly 1 or 2 did not make it.  Our story turned out with a happy ending.  We were fortunate.

Peace!

4 comments:

  1. Susan you are his hero. You are his rock and his mom. God bless you for being so strong and for being proud of your boy and proud to be his mom. You are a true inspiration for other parents facing this and when people work together in numbers things like autism can be better understood . God bless you for sharing. Im going to follow your blog. Im proud also to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your support. It means so much to Ryan and I. It wasn't always that easy to talk about, and these blog posts are written with a lot of tears and heart. It helps us to share, and I hope it is helping others. Thank you again so much for following! Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete